In today’s digital era, having a reliable Wi-Fi connection is crucial for staying connected, productive, and entertained. Linksys extenders are a popular solution to eliminate dead zones and extend Wi-Fi coverage in homes. To personalize your Wi-Fi experience and easily identify your extender among other networks, you can customize its network name.
This guide will walk you through change the Linksys extender network name, ensuring a seamless and tailored Wi-Fi experience. Whether you’re a tech enthusiast or a novice user, this article empowers you to make the necessary changes effortlessly.
Gathering the Essentials for change the Linksys extender network name
Before changing your Linksys extender’s network name, make sure you have the following items:
- Linksys Extender: The device you want to rename.
- Power Adapter: To power up your Linksys extender.
- Ethernet Cable (Optional): For connecting your Linksys extender to your existing modem or router.
- Smartphone or Computer: To access the Linksys extender web interface.
Steps to change the Linksys extender network name
Here are some easy and short steps for Change the Linksys extender network name:
- Power On: Plug the power adapter into your Linksys extender and connect it to a power outlet.
- Wait for LEDs: Wait for the LEDs on your Linksys extender to turn solid purple, indicating it’s ready for setup.
- Connect to Extender: If you have an Ethernet cable, use it to connect your computer or smartphone to any available port on your Linksys extender.
- Access Web Interface: Open a web browser on the connected device and go to extender.linksys.com or 192.168.1.1.
- Input Credentials: When prompted, enter the default username (admin) and password (admin) for your Linksys extender.
- Open Basic Settings: After logging in, find and click on the “Basic Settings” tab for change the Linksys extender network name .
- Find Extended Wireless Settings: Scroll down the page until you reach the section labeled “Extended Wireless Settings.”
- Disable Same Settings: Uncheck the box next to “Make same as router settings” to customize your extender’s network name.
- Choose a New Network Name: Pick a name for your Linksys extender’s Wi-Fi network that is easy to remember.
- Change the Password (if desired): If you want a new password, type it into the “Password” box.
- Save your Changes: Click the “Save” button to ensure your choices are saved.
- For the 5 GHz Band (if applicable): If your Linksys extender uses dual-band Wi-Fi, repeat the same steps for the “5 GHz Extended Wireless Settings.”
- Reconnect your Devices: After changing the network name, reconnect your devices to the Wi-Fi with the new name.
Common Issues and Troubleshooting Steps
Here are some common issues that occurs during Change the Linksys extender network name:
Unable to access the Linksys extender web interface:
- Check if your computer or mobile device is connected to the Wi-Fi network of the Linksys extender.
- Try using an alternative web browser.
- Clear the cache and cookies of your web browser.
- If difficulties persist, consider resetting your Linksys extender to its factory defaults.
Network name change not taking effect:
- Save the changes after making them to the Linksys extender web interface.
- Restart your Linksys extender and any connected devices to apply the changes.
- Ensure your devices are connected to the recently renamed Wi-Fi network.
If difficulty connecting persists:
- Forget the old network name on your devices and search for the newly named network.
- Enter the correct password for the newly named Wi-Fi network on your devices.
- Check for interference from nearby electronic devices.
- Consider relocating the Linksys extender to a more central location for better signal coverage.
Read more: Linksys Velop Setup
1. How can I change the Linksys extender network name?
Ans: Access the Linksys extender’s web interface using a web browser and log in to modify the network name (SSID) in the wireless or network settings.
2. Is it possible to modify my Linksys extender’s network name via the Linksys app?
Ans: Yes, you can use the Linksys app to change the network name. Launch the app, choose your extender from the device list, and look for the wireless or network configuration to modify the network name (SSID).
3. Will my devices’ connections be affected if I change the network name?
Ans: Changing the network name should not impact the connectivity of your devices. After changing the network name, reconnect your devices to the newly named network.
4. Is there a recommended format for the new network name on my Linksys extender?
Ans: While there isn’t a strict format, choose a unique and easily identifiable name. Avoid using personal information and consider a combination of letters, numbers, and symbols for enhanced security.
5. Do I need to restart my Linksys extender after changing the network name?
Ans: It’s a good practice to restart your Linksys extender after changing the network name. This ensures that the new settings take effect and helps in a smooth transition for your connected devices.